Pages

September 17, 2013

Goodbye Voyager One

Hello,

I was very excited to read about Voyager 1 leaving the Solar System the other day. Voyager 1 was launched the same year I was born, so in a sense, I've always grown up with it,1 and I have always wondered if it would reach the end of the solar system at some point.

However, a good friend who's an avid astronomer pointed out that Voyager 1 still has to traverse the Oort Cloud, and probably will not do so for a long, long time. The power source on Voyager 1 will have long since died out.

Anyhow, congrats to Voyager 1 for making it out of the heliosphere and into the deeper space. :)

1 Similarly, I remember as a little kid when Halley's Comet passed by earth in 1986, and I always hoped I'd be alive long enough to see it come back again in 2061.

No comments:

Post a Comment